How to deal with bailiffs who overstep their jurisdiction

We haven’t got a problem with bailiffs. No. But we do have a problem with bailiffs who overstep their jurisdiction. The law surrounding the levying of objects from your home is clear, and the law surrounding breaking and entering is also clear. It is only the media that has allowed such interpretations get out of hand. Whether some less scrupulous bailiffs have taken inspiration from the media, or whether the media has taken inspiration from them, they exist; the type of bailiff that is better described as a bully.

The word doesn’t seem to provide the right kind of weight to it though, does it? The word bully conjures images of some snotty little brat from high school that used to give all the self-conscious teacher’s pets wedgies. This is a different sort of thing all together isn’t it?

Not really. It is still the cowardly victimisation of someone who is in a vulnerable position. Is it bullying? Is it psychological abuse? Is it a verbal, physical or emotional assault? Maybe all of these, maybe none.

It’s one thing knowing how to deal with a regular bailiff, come to your home with the genuine task of doing their day to day job (after all, they are human), but dealing with a bailiff who is aggressive, forceful and intimidating is another matter entirely.

By following advice that Council Tax Advisors offer, you should be able to avoid a situation that is overly confrontational. If you can help it, don’t open the door, talk through a window or a letter box and get in touch with Council Tax Advisors as soon as you possibly can.

There are also a variety of routes that you can go down if you want to complain about a bailiff, although we advise that if a bailiff has been aggressive or tried to break into your home you both complain and inform the police. Bailiffs are not above the law, and they are not allowed to force entry unless they are collecting unpaid criminal fines, income tax or stamp duty, and they may only do that as a last resort.

So no, we haven’t got an issue with bailiffs; most of them are just trying to do their jobs and will accept negotiations for a debt payment scheme. As ever, it’s the minority that spoil it, but when they do, Council Tax Advisors are here to help.

As Featured In

You can get free debt advice from Money Helper,
an organisation set up by the government to offer free and impartial advice to those in debt. Just click the link above to find out more.

Council Tax Advisors is a trading name of Ruby Holdings Limited.
Registered in England and Wales, Company Registration Number: 09496123
Registered office: 103 Bradley House, Radcliffe Moor Road, Bolton, Lancashire, BL2 6RT.
Data Protection Number: ZA130896
Financial Conduct Authority Reference Number: 763879
We Are Here For You
If you want to consolidate your debt or are looking for advice with bailiffs, see how we can help.