Call us
03300 948 766
03300 948 766


Have you been visited by a Rossendales bailiff due to unpaid Council Tax, Business Rates or a Benefit overpayment?

If you have, don’t panic, Council Tax Advisors are the leading not-for-profit organisation who specialise in helping people just like you stop bailiff action and set up affordable repayment plans, ensuring you retain your possessions and can get your life back on track.

So, how can Council Tax Advisors help you solve the problems you face with Rossendales?

  • We will speak to the Bailiff Enforcement Agent on your behalf
  • We will arrange for a temporary hold on Bailiff visits to be put in place
  • We will negotiate with your local council for you
  • We will arrange an affordable, sustainable repayment plan for you
  • We do all of this completed free of charge as we are Not-for-Profit Community Interest Company
Lady 3

“Indeed for the first time I received letters from the council which were considerate. I thank them for all their professionalism and assistance in dealing with my matters. ”
H Singh

View more feedback


Rossendales have been around since 1972 and provide a number of services to local government agencies and private organisations. They are leading providers of bailiff enforcement and debt collection services, collecting unpaid Council Tax and Business Rates on behalf of 140 local authorities in England and Wales. Since 2004 they have also been working with over 300 clients who are private landlords and other private sector companies to collect unpaid rent and various other types of consumer debts. Council Tax Advisors can offer advice on Council Tax and Business Rates collection, as well as on any other type of consumer debt, which Rossendales are authorised to collect from you

Rossendales are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and comply with the CSA Code of Practice.

Contact Rossendales::
Web: click here
Tel: 0845 078 1194
Address: PO Box 324, Rossendale, BB4 0GE


If you have unpaid Council Tax or Business Rates and have not been able to pay within seven days of receiving a final demand from your local council, the council may hire Rossendales to collect the unpaid debt. The council will be able to apply for a liability order through the Magistrates Court, allowing Rossendales to contact you to discuss the repayment of your debt, or, in rare cases, to take away your property in order to cover what you owe.


Rossendales will only be allowed into your home in certain situations, such as if there is liability order from the Magistrates, or if there is a Magistrate, High Court or County Court fine payable in the case of unpaid Business Rates. If Rossendales have been inside your property before, they will be able to enter again. If either of these cases applies, Rossendales will be able to use what is known as ‘reasonable force’ to gain entry. This means they can make use of specialist equipment, or the services of a locksmith. If you are concerned about Rossendales entering your home you should get in touch with Council Tax Advisors right away on 0300 302 1806, or send a message using the contact form on this website.

Man 7

“We would just like to say a big thank you for your help and support over these last few months. If it wasn’t for your company we would have still been struggling to get any result with the issues we had”

View more feedback


You may be surprised to know that Rossendales will be able to charge you fees for their enforcement collection service, in addition to the debt you may already owe. Rossendales will follow the three standard stages of debt collection::

Council Tax Advisors - Council tax and debt advice


Where Rossendales are not acting under a High Court order, and the debt is below £1500, they will be able to charge you £75 for issuing a letter called an enforcement notice, which details your debt and how you can arrange payment.

Council Tax Advisors - Council tax and debt advice


If you do not arrange payment then the case gets elevated to the enforcement stage, when Rossendales can attempt entry to your home to take control of your property. The fee at this stage is £235.

Council Tax Advisors - Council tax and debt advice


If Rossendales have removed your belongings and sell them off to pay off your debt, you will owe them a £110 fee.

If a High Court Order is in place the fees are different:

  • Stage 1: Compliance £75
  • Stage 2: First enforcement £190
  • Stage 3: Second enforcement £495
  • Stage 4: Sale or disposal £525

The fees are also different if the debt you owe is over £1500 and there is no High Court order in place. In this case a percentage fee of 0% will be charged at the compliance stage, 7.5% at the enforcement stage, and 7.5% at the sale stage.

If there is a High Court order in place and you owe more than £1500, you can be charged a percentage fee of 0% at the compliance stage, 7.5% at the first enforcement stage, 0% at the enforcement stage, and 7.5% at the final sale or disposal stage.

Council Tax Advisors - Council tax and debt advice

Comprehensive bailiff advice is available from the team at Council Tax Advisors, with valuable guidance and help for anyone struggling with bailiff action or council tax debt. To benefit from our bailiff advice, simply
contact us today on 0300 302 1806

Rossendales can also charge you for their expenses for removals, storage, locksmith and court fees. These expenses, also called, disbursements, can be taken out of funds raised by the sale of your property. If the bailiffs find that the money received from the sale of your things does not cover the debt, then you will still owe money.

This can be a very frightening situation for vulnerable people such as the elderly or disabled, so by law, they must be offered advice before enforcement agents can take control of their property or charge any fees.

Council Tax Advisors are here to help vulnerable people who are in this situation. They can be contacted on 0300 302 1806, or through the contact form on this website.

If you are able to pay your debt before the enforcement stage, or the debt collection process has been stopped, you will not have to pay fees for stages that have not been started. If, however, Rossendales have already visited your home, this is considered to be the start of the enforcement stage and you will be charged a fee.


If you’ve received a letter called a Compliance Notice from Rossendales, saying that you owe Council Tax, Business rates, or Benefits overpayments that means that your local council has appointed them to collect the arrears on their behalf. You will have seven days from first receiving the letter to make arrangements to pay.

Keep in mind that not only will you have to find the money to pay the local authority, but you will also have to pay Rossendales’ fees for each liability order they have been issued relating to your case. An example of this is if the council has issued 10 liability orders you are also responsible for paying an additional £750 to cover the bailiff’s fees.

Ignore a Compliance Notice at your peril! If you do, the Rossendales bailiffs can take further action, which could escalate to having your belongings seized. If you want to know how to avoid this you need to call Council Tax Advisors on 0300 302 1806 or complete the web contact form.

Man 3

“I would like to say a massive thank you to everybody at council tax advisors without your help and support I still wouldn’t be able to sleep at night and would be living in constant fear of a knock at the door.”
C Cooper

View more feedback


If you have received a Compliance Order from Rossendales but have been unable to pay within seven days of receiving it, they can then issue you with a Notice of Enforcement. You may receive a letter warning you about the bailiff’s imminent visit, but in some cases they may visit without notifying you.

If you are not at home when the enforcement agents attempt to visit you, a notice will be posted through your letterbox explaining that you must immediately pay your bill. If you are at home when the bailiffs from Rossendales come to visit, be aware that you are in no way obligated to let them into your home. Doing this will put your belongings at risk. You should not agree to pay any amount that you are not sure you can afford. The enforcement agents will take any agreement made as a final arrangement. You could also be liable to pay Rossendales an enforcement fee of £235. By calling Council Tax Advisors on 0300 302 1806 you can get advice and avoid finding yourself in a worse situation.


If your case has progressed to the enforcement stage, and an agent from Rossendales has been inside your home, your property will be subject to Taking Control of Goods Regulations, or Walking Possession in Northern Ireland. The agent will make an inventory of your belongings and estimate the value. The list may be included in a document called a ‘Notice After Entry or Taking Control of Goods’, or on a ‘Controlled Goods Agreement’. The list must be written clearly so that you are able to identify everything on it.

Should you enter into a Controlled Goods Agreement with Rossendales, you will be given some time to make the repayment. During this time you can keep your belongings, but until you have paid in full, the bailiffs will still have control of your possessions, and could remove them if you break the agreement.

Some items such as refrigerators, microwaves, cookers, washing machines, dining table and chairs, one telephone, beds and bedding, medical equipment, enough lamps and heating facilities, and guide dogs are exempt from being taken.

Council Tax Advisors - Council tax and debt advice

Only adults over the age of 18 can enter into a Controlled Goods Agreement, and must be authorised by the debtor if they are acting on their behalf. Also, items cannot be removed from a home where the only person living there is a child under 18, or a vulnerable person.

Controlled Goods Agreements only apply to adults over the age of 18, and must be agreed by the debtor if someone else is acting on their behalf. Items cannot be taken from a home where the only resident is a child under the age of 18, or someone who is considered to be a vulnerable person.

Rossendales bailiffs will only be allowed to take control of your belongings within 12 months from the date of the Notice of Enforcement. If you have broken a Controlled Goods Agreement with Rossendales, the 12-month period within which they can seize your property starts from the date you defaulted on the agreement. Rossendales can also apply to the court for a 12-month extension to Taking Control of Goods.

By letting enforcement agents into your home you put your possessions at risk. If the bailiffs from Rossendales have given you a Notice After Entry or Taking Control of Goods, or entered into a Controlled Goods Agreement, call Council Tax Advisors on 0300 302 1806 urgently.

Couple 3

“We would highly recommend that anyone in a similar situation should contact you, it is incredible that you have helped us this much with no fee.”
Nigel and Kay Downham

View more feedback


A car is exempt from being seized by bailiffs if it is valued less than £1,350 and it can be proven that it is needed to get to work or education, and there is no other transportation available. In the case of Business Rates debt, however, this rule does not apply. Vehicles valued over £1,350 can be taken except if it:

  • is on hire purchase
  • belongs to someone else other than the debtor
  • is used to transport a disabled person
  • is an emergency vehicle
  • is a vehicle used for self-employed business (not sole traders) or owned by a limited company
  • is a motorhome, which is also your permanent home.


If for whatever reason you need to make a complaint about Rossendales you should write a letter to your local council and send a copy of the letter to Rossendales.


In the case of outstanding Business Rates, your local authority will grant permission to Rossendales to contact you to make payment arrangements. Rossendales will have many of the same powers as for collecting Council Tax arrears but there are a few differences. If you find you are not able to pay your Business Rates, or come to any arrangement for paying it in stages, or if your possessions have been removed and sold off but the value did not cover the cost of your debt, the council can begin insolvency proceedings. You could lose your business and become bankrupt, or in rare cases, even go to jail.

You should contact Council Tax Advisors right away for advice, as they will be able to put you in touch with organisations that work expressly with Business Rate debtors.

Lady 3

“Indeed for the first time I received letters from the council which were considerate. I thank them for all their professionalism and assistance in dealing with my matters. ”
H Singh

View more feedback


If you have been overpaid Benefits, you will have to pay this back. Rossendales can be appointed by the council to collect any overpaid Benefit from you. Your local council should let you know in writing how much you have been overpaid and how much you have to pay back. You will be required to pay this unless you disagree, in which case you will need to make an appeal to the council.

If you don’t pay back overpaid Benefits the council may apply for a County Court Judgment, which you will also be responsible for paying. Rossendales, working on behalf of the council will follow the debt collection steps as detailed above, however, there may be some differences so you should contact Council Tax Advisors on 0300 302 1806 or use the contact form on the website.


If you owe money on credit cards, bank charges, loans or any other type of consumer or financial debt, and Rossendales have contacted you for repayment, many of the same rules for debt collection described above will apply. However, some procedures may be different. Council Tax Advisors can also give advice on how to deal with consumer and financial debt.


If you need to speak with Rossendales directly they can be contacted in the following ways:
Rossendales, PO Box 324, Rossendale, BB4 0GE

Public sector customer contact centre:
Enquiry and Payment Line: 0844 701 3980
24 Hour Automated Payment Line: 0845 078 1194
Fax Line: 0844 701 3982

Specific Local Advice

For help and advice with a specific Bailiff/Enforcement Agency, please select from the list below